Picture of For the Household Cavalry. After phase 1 how long do you spend at Bovington before going on to do ceremonial training?

For the Household Cavalry. After phase 1 how long do you spend at Bovington before going on to do ceremonial training?

Picture of LCoH Ashley
1 response

Additional information

I have seen some websites say you do phase 1 at Catterick and others say Pirbright. In addition, regarding phase 2, some sources say 6 weeks and others state 20 weeks at Bovington. I just want to know how my training will go for the Household Cavalry. Many thanks, Joe

Anonymous asked a question to LCoH Ashley O.

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Monday, April 11, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Morning and thanks for your question. I can understand your confusion as the training schedule is always subject to change as they are constantly looking at ways to improve. As it stands, all senior entry (17.6 years old) candidates aiming to join the Household Cavalry will go to ITC Catterick as their Phase one training. If joining as a Junior Soldier (16 years until 17 years 6 months) then you will attend the Army Foundation College Harrogate on a 42 week course which will encompass your basic training. Following Basic Training, you will move to Bovington which can take varying amounts of time. Whilst there you will undertake basic vehicle signals and communications, training exercises specific to the Royal Armoured Corps and the way we operate, category B and C licence practices and tests, and potentially some other courses whilst there. These are the reasons why it can vary how long it takes, as not everyone can complete their driving licences etc at the same time, so some may have to wait a little longer than others and some may take longer to pass the course too. When completing your Phase 2 training at Bovington, you will then be loaded onto your khaki ride which is the basic horse care and riding course for all Household Cavalry soldiers. This will be for 14 weeks in total, learning to ride comfortably and with confidence. Once complete, you will then complete a final 5 week Kit ride course, which is essentially putting everything you have learned to use, learning to ride our horses wearing the full kit and all of the drills/manoeuvres required for this. Hope that helps and if you have any other questions then feel free to ask.

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?