Picture of Are the quals gained By a CMT useful in NHS and could i become a paramedic? people are saying CMT is non transferable?

Are the quals gained By a CMT useful in NHS and could i become a paramedic? people are saying CMT is non transferable?

Picture of Tori
3 responses

Additional information

i want to join as a CMT but people are saying the quals earned throughout a career are not transferable and would not let me become a paramedic or anything medical related and i wouldnt be any more qualified than a first aider, is the qualifications gained during a career as a CMT worthwhile if and when i end up back on civi street?

Chris R. asked a question to Medical

Category: Medical

Date asked: Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Last reviewed: Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Chris, I think you have already asked a similar question, but just in case I haven't fully answered it. The CMT qualification itself is not transferable. However, the Army has recognised this and is working to aid CMTs leaving the Army into similar jobs on civi street. There is a Paramedic training pathway that is open to CMTs to apply to, 3 CMTs I've worked with this year have been successful in their application to train as a Paramedic. I believe they are also trying to ensure CMTs also gain an EMT qualification, which is recognised by the NHS. I hope that answers your question. If it helps, I often meet CMTs who spend a few years in the Army and then leave to go on to train to become a nurse/doctor/paramedic, and their experience as a CMT has really helped their application. You can of course also apply to train as a nurse or paramedic within the Army.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Courtney J.

Is there a specific pathway for CMT's to become a Paramedic? How does it work? Does the army do anything to assist you at all??

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Courtney, There is a specific pathway for CMTs to apply to become Paramedics, if you wish to apply on the pathway, you will receive assistance with your application. As far as I remember, the Army filters the applications and may do interviews as well, and then puts a certain number of CMTs forward to the university, and then the university will advise on how many places they have available. The Army will pay for your training and continue to employ you, you will have a return of service after you finish training though.

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?