Picture of CMT skills worthwhile after the army, and are CMT's more than first aid?

CMT skills worthwhile after the army, and are CMT's more than first aid?

Picture of Tori
3 responses

Additional information

are skills gained as a CMT transferable, people say CMT is basically just a first aider in civi street but CMT looks like a mix of an EMT and paramedic is it just facebook making it seem like CMT is bad? i really want to learn as much medically as i can and help people and keep on progressing is this possible, people make jokes about painting boxes or being stood doing nothing on exercise etc... there is very little info on CMT progression possible future jobs and day to day life anywhere online, thanks for any help you can give.

Chris R. asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Employee benefits

Date asked: Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Last reviewed: Sunday, August 2, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I am not a CMT but I have spent a lot of time working with them, so I will do my best to answer your question. A CMT knows far more than your average first aider, they get training in both pre hospital trauma care and primary care, some CMTs will work in isolation in remote environments and be expected to have a good degree of clinical knowledge and perform various medical skills using a variety of equipment. I haven't met any CMTs who have complained about painting boxes or doing nothing on exercise, although they do occasionally moan about putting up tents! How much you deploy and how much clinical work you do will depend on where you are posted, but you will move postings every few years so the job will change over time. CMTs in medical regiments don't tend to get as much clinical experience as those attached to other units. Those attached to non-medical regiments are likely to work in their unit medical centre, as well as deploy with their unit. Saying that, CMTs from the medical regiments are sometimes trawled to fill other taskings (borrowed by a deploying unit that is short of a CMT). In terms of progressing, within the Army there are various courses you can do as a CMT to progress your clinical knowledge, and there is the option to apply for the paramedic training pathway. CMTs are expected to complete a clinical portfolio on a rolling basis, this is to demonstrate they are continuing to learn and gain experience. However, if you did leave the Army as a CMT, you will not necessarily have a civilian qualification that represents your skill. The Army has recognised this is an issue and is working to try and help CMTs gain qualifications that are recognised (most commonly EMT qualifications). Most CMTs I meet leave the army to pursue healthcare related jobs, whether that be training to become a nurse/doctor/HCA/paramedic and their CMT experience has made them a strong applicant for those courses. I have written quite a lot already, so I probably shouldn't go on too much more, but in terms of their day to day life, it is incredibly varied. You might be deployed supporting an operation, working in a medical centre running sick parade or in a medical regiment learning to drive an armoured vehicle. I hope that helps, let me know if you want any more specific information!

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Masha A.

Are there any civilian jobs at the moment which a CMT could qualify for?

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Masha, Unless a CMT has worked towards a separate civilian qualification, then no, there are no jobs a CMT could do that would be similar to their military role at present. However it is possible to complete qualifications while you are a CMT that would help with this. You could get your EMT qualification, or even work towards becoming a paramedic. There are healthcare jobs that don't necessarily require a formal qualification, but previous clinical experience may help you with, such as a healthcare assistant.

Sunday, August 2, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?