Picture of Hi, are the fitness tests for officer and soldier different in medical regiments?

Hi, are the fitness tests for officer and soldier different in medical regiments?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Roberto O. asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Thursday, August 8, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, August 8, 2019

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, The Army has very recently updated their fitness tests, and there are likely to be more changes which will affect those working at medical regiments. At present, officers and soldiers undertake the same fitness tests as other non-infantry regiments. This includes 2 things. Firstly the AFT which is an 8-mile (walk/jog) with 15kg (incl. rifle) in 2 hours. This is done as a group and a physical training instructor will guide you round the route and dictate the pace. You will receive plenty of build up training when you join the Army to help you work towards this, so don't worry if you think you might not be able to do it at the moment! And secondly, the new Soldier Conditioning Review, unlike the fitness test that this has replaced, it is not a pass/fail test and more an informative assessment. It includes a medicine ball throw, static jump, pull ups, deadlift, sprints and a 2km run (and possibly some other things I have forgotten!). Fitness tests to join the Army are the same for everyone, although infantry units may require a higher standard. Soldiers - 800m warm up followed by 2km run. You must complete the 2km in under 11min 15sec. A medicine ball throw (4kg, seated position, 2.9m minimum). A mid thigh pull (for more details on this one see the Army jobs website). Officers - As above but instead of the run I think they might still do the Bleep test. I hope that answers your question!

Thursday, August 8, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?