Picture of Do you really need to meet the fitness requirements on the application?

Do you really need to meet the fitness requirements on the application?

Picture of Greg
11 responses

Anonymous asked a question to HR, Finance and Support

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Last reviewed: Saturday, July 25, 2020

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Hello, The fitness requirements on application are a base line fitness standard. In reality you need to be exceeding these standards to get a good grade at Assessment Centre. Once you are in training, the standards required of you are higher than those at Assessment Centre, but don't worry, basic training will help you to improve your fitness. The starting point is up to you though. There is a free app available produced by the British Army for both Apple and Android devices. If you search for 100% Army Fit on either store you will find it on there. Download it and have a look. There are useful videos on technique and the app will help you track your progress and set goals. Good luck!

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Anonymous

i need me some of that boot in the backside training, i think i will pass the assessment if i am lucky, but there's fit as in climbing, caving, & other outdoor pursuits fit and then there's army fit, and i think, i if was army fit, i could become a professional climber, because i am applying ,to become a better person, to believe in myself, to get confidence, helping others and do something i want to do, and if i get selected i know someone believes in me and that i can start to believe in myself.

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Anybody who has a good general level of fitness will be absolutely fine. The basic training is all about taking you from being fit to being army fit. Being army fit isn't about being superhuman though. Its about having the right strength and conditioning in the right areas.

Monday, September 9, 2019

The Army is a very physical job. The fitness test standards are a base line, you don't want to be on that line but be far above it, just to save yourself some pain in the long run. Climbing and outdoor activities will give you a good basic, but things like running and walking with weight are always needed.

Friday, December 13, 2019

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

As mentioned above, the fitness standards are a minimum. These standards will differ with your job choice. However, they will never change. Every year, a serving soldier is required to pass the same fitness test twice annually. The fitter you are not only going to Assessment centre but also basic training, the easier your journey will be. You should be aiming to improve your score every time you complete it. Check the army homepage for the fitness standards required. J

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Anonymous

What would happen in the event that you do not meet the requirements, how long until you can take the assessment again? Also if you are not fit enough to pass Phase 1, what would happen please?

Friday, July 24, 2020

James A.

You have to pass a 2km fitness test before your careers office can send you to assessment centre. If you fail it there at assessment centre then you will be given a time period to wait before being able to re attend assessment centre. If you don’t meet/pass fitness requirements in phase 1, you will be back trooped/squadded back in training until you do pass the standards. J

Friday, July 24, 2020

Anonymous

Hi James, thanks for your quick reply. How about failing the initial fitness test? Do you have to wait a mandatory period of 3/6 months or can you just re-apply when you think you are ready?

Friday, July 24, 2020

James A.

Do you mean initial fitness test before heading to assessment centre or the initial fitness test when you get to basic training? J

Friday, July 24, 2020

Anonymous

The 2K run, 4Kg medicine ball throw and mid-thigh pull, but if you could provide an answer for both please

Friday, July 24, 2020

James A.

To get to assessment centre you must pass a 2km run and provide proof to your recruiter. To pass assessment centre for your chosen job choice, you must pass all 3 elements of the fitness. You can find the required fitness scores on the army jobs page If you fail any part of the test, you could accept a different job choice with a score you have passed or return to assessment centre to re attempt the fitness test. As mentioned, in training, for example. If you fail your 6 mile exit test in phase 1, you will stay until you pass it. The fitness standards are changing to the new role fitness test so it may vary. I can’t get you a definitive answer on the scores required J

Saturday, July 25, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?