Picture of Do I need to be really good at pushups and gym routines?

Do I need to be really good at pushups and gym routines?

5 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Last reviewed: Saturday, February 22, 2020

Daniel E.

Assistant Intelligence Officer

You need to generally be good at push ups but don't worry about gym routine. In training, you get an induction into the gym and how you conduct yourself in a military gym is totally different to how you conduct yourself in a civilian gym. This is only in training. Once you get to your Battalion/Regiment, you treat the gym as any other gym when not on a lesson from the Physical Training Instructor (PTI), otherwise it's all on words of command.

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Sylvia Q.

Do i need to know how to swim before i get recruitered

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Sylvia Q.

How do i contact the Army,because the number is not going through please advice

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

As the fitness standards have no changed, press ups and sit ups are no longer an entry requirement. However, as Daniel mentioned above, it would stand you in good stead to work on your push ups and sit ups whilst training before starting your basic training or event assessment centre. Gym routines will come when you start training, you will conduct 3/4 varied sessions per week J

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Sylvia, swimming is not a pre entry requirements. Whilst your in basic training you will be expected to pass a military swim test. It consists of stepping in to the water then treading water for 2 minutes then swimming in a front facing stroke for 100 meters without touching the sides or bottom. You will be expected to exit the pool unassisted. With regards to the army number Call the National Recruiting Centre on 0345 6008080 They will n be open until 0830 on Monday J

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?