Picture of I'm unsure whether to apply for a soldier or an officer role?

I'm unsure whether to apply for a soldier or an officer role?

Picture of Katie
2 responses

Additional information

I have the qualifications to join as an officer, but I'm unsure whether a soldier or an officer role suits me best

Emily M. asked a question to British Army

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Last reviewed: Monday, November 18, 2019

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Emily, It may be worth speaking to your local armed forces careers office to see if there are any look at life opportunities running. There are usually events called Army Awareness that can be booked via them to visit various units to spend a few days in the life of that chosen trade. These events are at no cost. Food, accommodation and train warrants are covered. I hope this helps J

Monday, September 23, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Emily, To decide whether to join as an officer or soldier you need to decide what you want from the job day to day. As an officer you'll find yourself in a management and leadership role, with a team of soldiers working for you from the start. You'll combine your leadership skills with your subject knowledge to make sure that your team works efficiently and as well as they can. As a soldier you’ll become the subject matter expert in whichever trade you decide to pursue, it’s less about the management of others and more about the trade. I hope this helps but if not feel free to come back to me with any additional questions. Katie

Monday, November 18, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?