Picture of How hard is it going from civvie to soldier? What experiences can you share?

How hard is it going from civvie to soldier? What experiences can you share?

Picture of Katie
1 response

Additional information

Struggling to decide whether i want to join the army as i do but not sure if its for me as I don't know how hard going from civvie to soldier is going to be

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Sunday, December 8, 2019

Last reviewed: Sunday, December 8, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi there, Thanks for your question. It is a really difficult question to answer as it will be different for everyone. For me, I had wanted to join the Army since I was 13 years old, so when I eventually got to join at 23 I was quite well informed about the Army and the Regiment I wanted to join (the Royal Artillery). I was apprehensive that the Army wouldn’t live up to what I had built it up as in my mind but it has not disappointed. I have now served for 15 years and the Army keeps challenging me (which is what I wanted). I have learnt and developed so much as a person, Officer and within my trade. I have had the honour of working with some truly inspirational people, and made some friends who I know will be for life. I am a true believer that the Army is what YOU make of it. What you put in, you will get out. If you put in 100%, are hard working, dedicated and grasp the opportunities which it presents, it will deliver everything you want of it. Only you will know if it’s the right move for you. My advice would be to look on the Army recruiting website to learn more about the trades available and see what appeals to you. You could also start the application process online and have a discussion with the recruiting staff, you don’t have to commit to joining straight away. I hope this answers your question but feel free to come back to me if you want to know anything more. Katie

Sunday, December 8, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?