Picture of Army life vs being a girl

Army life vs being a girl

Picture of Sarah
Picture of Tori
2 responses

Additional information

I am currently in the process of my application to join as a student nurse. Unfortunately my parents are slightly narrow minded, in the sense that, whilst they acknowledge that the army holds great career opportunities, they are worried that its not a lifestyle that would suit a girl. They think I will potentially struggle physically to keep up with everyone else and that the whole getting married, having a family alongside an army lifestyle is going to be really hard. Also because we are from an Asian background they fear there is a lack of diversity within the army and they think that is going to affect me in some shape or form. Now I am really passionate about joining the army and will do anything to join and my parents understand this and say they will happily support my decisions as it's my life but they are, naturally, worried so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation and give me something to relay to them so it'll put them at ease. Sorry about the lengthy question :)

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Last reviewed: Monday, January 6, 2020

Picture of Sarah R.

Sarah R.

SQMS Accomodation NCO

The Army has wonderful opportunities for any gender or ethnic background. Diversion and Inclusion has been a priority for longer than I have served and has improved in leaps and bounds over the last 20 years that I have been in. Many of my friends have had children over the years and have carried on serving with almost no complications to how they live and work.

Monday, January 6, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Sarah is correct, there are plenty opportunities for any gender or ethnic background. I'm not a nurse, but I am a healthcare professional and I have worked for both the NHS and the military (really our two main employment options!). There are upsides and downsides to both, and everyone will have a different experience, but I have found working for the military suits me (and my husband) better than working for the NHS did. I would say, particularly at the start of your career, there are extra benefits you might find the military provide, in terms of finance, but also building your CV - often courses are more accessible, and you have the opportunity to work in different environments. There is also the added bonus of sport, adventure training and travel. It might not suit you forever, not everyone wants a family in the military, but you don't have to stay (the maternity package is excellent though!).

Monday, January 6, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?