British Army
Is it better to be a Combat Medic and join as a soldier or join as a Paramedic and join as an officer?
Picture of Tori
1 response
Additional information
I'm trying to decide if my career will go further if I join at 16 through Harrogate and serve in a front line unit as a Medic or stay at school and apply for Sandhurst before going to University and studying Paramedic Science. What are the promotional prospects as a Medic Vs those of a paramedic and is it easy to get on the promotional courses as a Medic?
Anonymous asked a question to Medical
Category: Career Advice
Date asked: Tuesday, December 14, 2021
Last reviewed: Friday, December 17, 2021
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Regimental Medical Officer
Hello, The paramedic career pathway is a difficult one to advise on. Paramedics, at the moment, join as soldiers and are also CMTs, but they sometimes join in a higher rank depending on their level of experience. You can do your paramedic training through the army if you join as a CMT, it is not guaranteed, but there is a pathway for this (although I believe it can be competitive). In regards to promotion, you compete against your peers, so how easy it is to promote will vary from year to year, and also depend on how you perform in your role. If you wish to join as an officer and go to university, I would recommend considering one of the other clinical jobs eg nursing, physiotherapy, doctor, pharmacist, vet etc.. the full range of Army Medical Services jobs can be seen on our 'role finder' page. I hope that helps!
Friday, December 17, 2021
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.
Did you find this discussion helpful?