Picture of How do the army select which CMTs are suitable to attach to a combatant regiment to provide care under fire?

How do the army select which CMTs are suitable to attach to a combatant regiment to provide care under fire?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I’m a 32 old female. What are my realistic chances of being able to be chosen to attach to a combatant unit and provide care under fire/going out on patrol? Does my age or gender limit this? Secondly does CMT 1 training provide any NHS equivalent qualifications or is it the same as CMT 2 with no NHS transferable qualifications? Lastly from being a CMT is it possible to train as a paramedic in the army or does the army not have trained paramedic roles? Lots of questions sorry and thanks!

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Your age and gender does not limit the roles available to you. You will be able to express a preference for which unit you would like to be attached to, the most suitable CMT will be chosen for the role, for CMTs one of the most important aspects will be your clinical skills and decision making. CMT 1 training does not provide an NHS equivalent qualification, although the Army is trying to ensure all CMTs do gain an EMT qualification which is transferable. During their career CMTs can ask to train as a paramedic and the army does have roles for trained paramedics. There is a selection process so this is not a guaranteed option for all CMTs. I hope that answers your questions.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?