Picture of I have a girl I want to marry I was wondering how long I would be away from her each year if I made it into the Rifles

I have a girl I want to marry I was wondering how long I would be away from her each year if I made it into the Rifles

Picture of Jen
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Date asked: Thursday, July 15, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, September 13, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, unfortunately this is a really difficult question to answer. As every year would be different depending on exercises, operations, training, courses etc. Some years you could be away for about 10 months (8 months 'tour' and 2 months training over the year) and others you could be away for 2 months on a course. It just completely depends on what's happening in the training cycle. If you were to get married you would be entitled to a subsidised married quarter (army house) and your wife could be there and have support from other military spouses. Like I said, really hard question to answer as no-one could tell you year on year.

Monday, September 13, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?

Related discussions
Would the army give you time off to get married even if you say your single on the application?Hiya, I'm a female looking to go into the artillery as a light gunner is this possible?If you get sent away how long at a time do you go for? also how do you stay in contact with love ones?I am 16 and looking for a career in the rifles. I came out of school with no qualifications, do i need any at all?I would like to transfer to artillery from RAF. How long would I have to serve in my current role to follow the process?I have a spent conviction for a firearm, would the army give me a second chance?I love sniping. Have experience with air rifles since little and have a good shot. I wear glasses. Can I get anywhere?Am I capable of being in the rifles as a person from Scotland?How long do I have to be in the army for, before I can leave the armyI'm a master's student in the UK and from a commonwealth nation. What is the procedure for me to join the rifles/Paras?how long would it take to become a sniper and do i have to have any real combat experience to start sniper school?Do the rifles get a beret, do I have to j o i n 1 Rifles to play rugby and what is life on base like?how much time will I be away? I have a daughter and soon to be wife with a mortgage will I see them?How quickly after phase 2 can you get housing? I have a girlfriend of 5 years and a 3 year old with her.My bf is starting his training very soon, what’s our options for housing or do we need to be married first? Thank you