Picture of How does it feel to be an officer, and what is your daily life like?

How does it feel to be an officer, and what is your daily life like?

Picture of Jen
2 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Jen C.

Date asked: Saturday, July 17, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, September 2, 2021

Daniel E.

Assistant Intelligence Officer

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry I can't answer your question as I am only an Officer in name and not in role. If you would like to hear from an Officer, I would look to the "Officer" category where someone would be able to answer your question. -Danny

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

I think all officers would give a different answer, particularly about daily life as this really does depend on role. However, i'll answer as best as i can and personally as an AGC (SPS) officer. From being at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, walking the same corridors as all the famous leaders before me i felt i was so lucky and it was a real privilege to be there and to be an Army Officer. I've never forgotten this and I think it's important not to. As an officer we have a duty to look after our soldiers wherever that might be physically but also mentally too. We have to support them but be able to tell them when they have messed up or aren't ready for a recommendation for promotion etc. We have to sometimes make difficult decisions that may support our soldiers and what we think is the right thing to do but our own bosses might think otherwise. Communication is critical as an officer - both to soldiers and fellow officers. I love my job; i love watching soldiers develop, being able to support and mentor when required. It's hard work at times and can be really emotionally draining but I really believe it's one of the best jobs there is (I can say that because i left the Army for 4 years). As an officer i've had the privilege to instruct some soldiers on Nordic skiing and honestly, one of my best and proudest moments was 2 seasons later, seeing 2 females who i'd instructed as complete beginners fly up a hill, almost synchronized absolutely beautifully. The opportunities we all have, officers and soldiers, within the army is phenomenal. So, day to day. Usually you work 0800/0830am - 5pm. Within that time you might have a physical training session or a walk round to chat to soldiers etc. However, sometimes things crop up and you might still be on your computer at 11pm (this isn't often but it happens). It really does depend on your role and the job you're in. When i first commissioned i commissioned into the Educational and Training Services (ie a teacher) and i remember some really late nights as i wanted my lessons to be great especially infront of 16 Sgts or Warrant Officers! In my current job i've been up until 3am on my computer trying to sort through soldiers for a National TV campaign! It's swings and roundabouts for every job but the benefits far outweigh any negatives. Good luck and i hope this has helped.

Thursday, September 2, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?