Picture of Do you have to go aboard if you want to stay with your family?

Do you have to go aboard if you want to stay with your family?

Picture of Jen
5 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Infantry

Category: Employee benefits

Date asked: Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Last reviewed: Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

There will be times in the miltary that you'd have to be away from friends and family (including basic training, exercises and operations). It might be that the Regular Army is not that appealing as you do have to spend time away from your family (no matter what trade you're in) but the Army Reserves could be a happy medium and best of both worlds.

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

As mentioned above, you will be expected to deploy overseas on various tasks. There are so many opportunity at present to deploy abroad whether it is anti poaching, and operational tour to Iraq for an overseas exercise to the jungle for example. There are regiments that are also posted to places like Cyprus, if you were married there would be availability to move to a married quarter on the island with your family. Hope this helps J

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Anonymous

My partner isn't prepared to move with me as she needs support from family and friends. I'm worried it will break us up! What other options is there for me?

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

If you're interested in the army / military (whether than be RAF and Navy too - they also require you to travel) but need to stay local then perhaps look at the Army Reserves. You could look at a local unit (so you can still live at home with your partner) - you could then do part time Army whilst working in your current job. Perhaps this might be the best option for you.

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Also look at units that are stationed within commuting distance from your home address so your partner can live at home whilst you commute or lived in accommodation within driving distance of home. There are plenty of units permanently fixed in locations across the U.K.

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?