2 responses

Bri L. asked a question to Combat

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, January 10, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Hi Bri, thanks for your question. Whilst i'm not a female myself, I can safely say that stereotypes are becoming less and less of a thing in the army to my knowledge. It is widely known now that females are an increasingly valuable asset to the British army in all roles. The only difference in some roles is quite simply that there are less females in some. This is purely down to the fact that only until a few years ago, females were not eligible for some roles. This is now no longer the case and we are now seeing a large interest in all roles for everyone. So this will not be the case for much longer i'm sure, and so by joining one of these roles, you could see yourself becoming one of the first females in that job and lead the way for others to follow suit too. In many areas, females can offer more than their male counterparts and these skills will be utilised to the maximum effect. Regardless of your gender, the army is committed to offering all opportunities to all of its personnel, should they wish to pursue them. I hope this answers your question and hopefully someone with some first hand experience can expand on what i have said too.

Monday, January 10, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

To add to Ash's answer above, and because i'm female i'd say he's completely right. There are less and less stereotypes about females doing job roles in the army because all roles are open to females. As Ash said, there's just more females in certain areas than others. Overall the Army still has far less females than males but there are some great perks to that - we don't have to queue for toilets / showers whereas the lads quite often do!! Also, as a female you basically don't have to think about what to wear everyday or have to have a few 'work' outfits as we basically get to wear uniform that's as comfortable as putting on PJs!! Hope this helps lend a different perspective too. Good luck- i might be biased but i think the army is a great career.

Monday, January 10, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?