Picture of i am in year 13 in my final year of a levels and was thinking about becoming an army doctor how do i start this ?

i am in year 13 in my final year of a levels and was thinking about becoming an army doctor how do i start this ?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

could I also get a scholarship due to academic record along with this ?

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Saturday, January 29, 2022

Last reviewed: Monday, February 14, 2022

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Full details on how to join the Army as a doctor are available on our website https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/doctor?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmKiQBhClARIsAKtSj-mz2H6ln6t8UY4VyNEY9CXEROqJU4NLHfb3bHYyugGD3c60wVszyK8aAhg_EALw_wcB&cid=semp5024952400&ef_id=Cj0KCQiAmKiQBhClARIsAKtSj-mz2H6ln6t8UY4VyNEY9CXEROqJU4NLHfb3bHYyugGD3c60wVszyK8aAhg_EALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8141!3!384414225501!e!!g!!army%20doctor&gclsrc=aw.ds In summary, there are two main ways to join. You can apply for a bursary while you are at medical school, this gives you £10k per year for your final 3 years at medical school, and then £45k on completing the commissioning course (which you do after Foundation years 1 and 2). I would recommend applying for a bursary towards the end of your first year at university. Alternatively, you can wait until after you finish medical school and apply during your foundation years, you would then join the Army after FY2 and go straight on to the commissioning course. Financially this route is not as good, but it does give you some more time to decide whether you want to join, and also allows you a bit more flexibility for where you do FY1&2. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Monday, February 14, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?