Picture of when in deployment do you have your own room with a key?

when in deployment do you have your own room with a key?

Picture of Amie
6 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: About us

Date asked: Thursday, March 3, 2022

Last reviewed: Thursday, March 10, 2022

Picture of Amie B.

Amie B.

MT JNCO

Hi there, I will try to answer your question, but it will be different for everybody. For the majority of exercises/ deployments, you typically share accommodation or sleep in the field. The type of accommodation ultimately depends on where you go and the type of deployment you are on. You could share a room with 3 other people, or a hangar with 50 people. You might find yourself sleeping in a cabin or a tent. If you are deployed on exercise in the field, you may well find yourself sleeping under a basher/ sheet. Where possible, you are placed with members of the same gender, or at least given an area for your own privacy. Again, this is bespoke to the exercise/ operation, but security and safety of everyone is taken into consideration, especially if under 18. You may get incredibly lucky, and deploy to a hotel with your own lockable room, but this is quite rare so it's not to be expected. You are also more likely to have your own room as an officer, but again, it's very common for officers to share accommodation. I personally feel that sharing accommodation when you're away is very advantageous, as it brings everybody closer together, improves camaraderie, and stops people from feeling lonely whilst away from friends and family back home. Plus, if you're concerned about security of kit, take a padlock with you as you quite often get a locker, or at least a box to store your valuables. Just to note that during Ph1 (basic) and Ph2 (trade) training, you will share a room with other trainees. Again, the number of people you share with will differ depending on where you go. I shared a room with 11 other females during my Ph1 training at Pirbright, and 5 other females during my Ph2 training at Middle Wallop, to give you an idea of what to expect. I will also add that after you have completed training, you live on base or camp at your unit, and it's highly likely you will get your own room, with some bases providing an en-suite/ shower. I hope that helps clarify your query.

Friday, March 4, 2022

Caroline B.

what about internet and computer access or gmail access during deployment?

Friday, March 4, 2022

Caroline B.

i understand it is what about during exercices, but during deployment do you have time off for yourself, during which you can use facilities (for me the most important is to have civilian internet access)

Friday, March 4, 2022

Picture of Amie B.

Amie B.

MT JNCO

Hi Caroline, It's difficult to answer, as every deployment will be different. I have been away with zero access to a computer, with a 30 minute phone call back home each week. I have also been away with a phone, laptop and internet access easily available. Your chain of command will always try to facilitate you contacting home, especially if there are welfare concerns. Quite often, they will ensure there are facilities available to you whilst away, such as a games console or board games; anything to make being away that little bit easier. Hope that helps.

Monday, March 7, 2022

Caroline B.

Hi Ami, this condition of being without a computer may last 6 months, weeks or days? it is possible that whole deployment are spent this way (i meant with gaming for sole extra activities??? another big question: in the circumstances, you described within buildings without computers, would it have been possible to bring your own laptop with you??

Monday, March 7, 2022

Picture of Amie B.

Amie B.

MT JNCO

Like I say, it's difficult to answer this as it all depends on the nature of the deployment and security threat in your location. It should be possible more often than not to take a laptop, but internet won't always be guaranteed.

Thursday, March 10, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?