Picture of best role for fitness as a female?

best role for fitness as a female?

Picture of Amie
1 response

Additional information

Hi i am currently a reservist looking to go full time for a good few years now. i previously wanted to join intelligence but heard it is almost all office based. I love fitness so wanted to look at other roles which may be better suited.

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Picture of Amie B.

Amie B.

MT JNCO

Hi there, It's great to hear you're interested in switching from the reservists to the regular army. Regardless of job role (and gender), you will conduct regular PT (physical training), whilst also ensuring you meet any training or fitness requirements; these will vary depending on which Corps/ Regiment you join, as there are differing fitness standards. You probably complete fitness tests in your current role, so have an understanding of the differences. You can take a look at the different fitness entry requirements to give you a rough idea of the required fitness levels - https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles. For example, in my role within the AAC, the entry requirements state you are to run 2km in 12 minutes, whereas for Infantry, this drops to 10m 15s, or even further as a Paratrooper where you must run 2km in 8m 15s. The testing such as SCR/ RFT will also vary depending on job role, but your PTI (department) can guide you further on this. Regarding Intelligence Corps, although the daily routine might involve a lot of office work, there will be plenty of opportunities to maintain your fitness, so don't let this deter you. There are gyms (free to use), sports clubs and the chance to participate in adventure training, allowing you to continue your passion for fitness. There are also opportunities to complete the AAPTI (All Arms Physical Training Instructor) course. This is a 10 week course designed for the fittest of soldiers, which enables you to become a competent PTI. This allows you to deliver physical training to your unit. You could even go on to join the RAPTC, more info found here - https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/royal-army-physical-training-corps/. Just to add, being a female is no barrier in the army. All roles are now available to females, including the Infantry and Paras. These are probably the two roles that will demand the highest levels of fitness, but it's important to consider all roles based on what you enjoy, both in and outside of the military. I hope that helps, and do not hesitate if you have any questions or comebacks.

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?