Picture of Can i live off base and commute instead? I would like to enlist but I don’t like staying away from family for too long.

Can i live off base and commute instead? I would like to enlist but I don’t like staying away from family for too long.

Picture of Amie
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Saturday, May 28, 2022

Last reviewed: Monday, May 30, 2022

Picture of Amie B.

Amie B.

MT JNCO

Hi there, So there is a myth that once you join the military, you are forever away from home and never see your family. However, for the majority of soldiers, this is quite the contrary. Whilst conducting your basic (Ph1) training, you will be required to stay on base. There are ample opportunities to speak to family and friends back home though, and there will also be a long weekend where you can return home. For example, if you attend Pirbright or Winchester, there is an opportunity to have a long weekend at home after week 7. Most Initial Trade Training (Ph2) training establishments will also require you to remain on base. Once you're at unit, you can absolutely commute if the base is close enough to your home. Many people choose to commute, and you could possibly get a contribution towards your fuel cost too. If you aren't quite close enough to commute, many soldiers will return home at the weekend if not away on exercise or operations. If you are married or in a long-term relationship, you could even live in military quarters (SFA - service families accommodation) alongside your family. The cost of SFA is heavily subsidised and there is often a close-knit community around you. Hope that helps

Monday, May 30, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?