Picture of Is it possible to get paid to go to university and do a law degree to eventually be a military lawyer?

Is it possible to get paid to go to university and do a law degree to eventually be a military lawyer?

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

I am in year 12 and looking at options to be sponsored through uni to get a law degree, as I want to be a lawyer in the army. Online it says you need to already be qualified, but I was wondering if sponsorship is an option instead?

Anna W. asked a question to Logistics

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, there is an option to get a bursary through uni (https://apply.army.mod.uk/base/funding-university - for more info). You can get a bursary for whatever subject you choose to study for (so you could still do law and get a bursary to help) and if you don't join the army you pay it back. The Army can't teach you to become a lawyer which is why you need to be fully trained as you have to sit the Bar which means you have to be practising. I hope this helps. All the lawyers in the army are known as Professionally Qualified Officers (PQOs) - their main role regardless of war etc will be to do the job they are employed first and foremost to do - law, medical, chaplaincy etc which is why they will only do a short course at Sandhurst. I hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?