Picture of Pondering legal at uni, if I don't like law but qualify as a solicitor and decide on infantry can I get PQO bursary?

Pondering legal at uni, if I don't like law but qualify as a solicitor and decide on infantry can I get PQO bursary?

1 response

Additional information

Really stuck on what to choose, a part of me really wants to tryout for infantry officer but I am 2nd year at uni studying law and also want to give that a go. If during my placement I decide I don't like it but still qualify as a solicitor what bursaries am I eligible for? Do I get the PQO bursary or should I apply for the standard before my final year? If I do stick to law and become a legal officer, what further training would I have to undergo after the 4year contract to then become an infantry officer if I change my mind? I won't know anything for certain until I have done my placement year at a firm but any advice on what I should do etc would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous asked a question to HR, Finance and Support

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Friday, November 8, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, November 14, 2019

Zoe O.

Corporal, Adjutant General's Corps, Staff and Personnel Support AGC(SPS).

Hello. Thank you for your question. PQO bursaries do not exist. You basically have two choices. First is qualify as a solicitor, complete a minimum of 2 years post qualifying practice and then you can apply to join the Army Legal Service. You will complete a PQO course which does not focus on military skills as such and is much shorter than the Regular Commissioning Board. Your second option is to either qualify as a solicitor or not, and then you could completely change paths and apply for the full Commissioning Course at Sandhurst. In your second term you can then apply to be an Infantry Officer but you will undergo a selection board so you are not guaranteed to get the role. Alternatively, you could qualify as a solicitor, apply to become a Reserve Infantry officer and have best of both worlds? This decision can only be made by you but I hope I've made things a little clearer? Zoe

Thursday, November 14, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?