Picture of My son has an essential tremor in his hands can he still join up? He is 14 but has wanted to join up since being 4.

My son has an essential tremor in his hands can he still join up? He is 14 but has wanted to join up since being 4.

Picture of Jen
1 response

nadine P. asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Sunday, March 12, 2023

Last reviewed: Thursday, March 23, 2023

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, every medical case is based on it's own merits and i could not say completely. The issue your son might have is weapon handling - could he pull a trigger in control or would a tremor potential cause the 'gun' to go off accidentally as he pulls the trigger? If he is a member of an army cadets where they use the cadet converted rifles and is fine with it then that would really help if you need some justification. If he's not a member of cadets it might be worth contacting a cadet unit and speaking with them. Unfortunately the only role in the army where you don't have to handle a personal weapon is the Royal Chaplains Dept. I hope this helps for now. Good luck.

Thursday, March 23, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?

Related discussions
I'm really interested and thinking of joining but can you join before you are 18 and can u be not that fit to join?Is it true that you can begin enlistment at 15 and 7 months old? Sorry if I wasted any of your timeWould i have to finish year 11 before joing afc harrogate or could i join as soon as i turn 16?Can I join the army if I fractured my arm and bruised my ligament as a child & teen?My son is currently in his first week at ITC Catterick, any advice to help him get through 1st week. 7 have quit so far!My son who will be 16 at xmas has signed up to become an army apprentice. I as a mother am wondering where will he live.My son is 18 next month and thinking of applying as a reme,he is dyslexic would this effect his chances?my son applied but because he tested positive COVID he has to wait a year until applying again is this true?Hiya how are you. I was wondering if i can join. Im quite small and weigh about 11 stones and 17 yr old living in dudleyMy son is 17 doing A levels predicted ABB but wants to join army from school and not go to uni,is he best to do degree?Hi my daughter is in year 11 and wants to join the army but she has Aspergers and ADHD will this stop her getting inWhen I was 13 I attempted suicide from being badly bullied i am now 16 and fully fit /stable .can I still joinCould someone join Harrogate when they are over the age requirement? Is the age limit 17 and 5 months?I'm 14 and I know I'm far off but is there anything I can do to get me a leg up for training?If i join at 16 and pass out will I have to do that again when I'm of an older age ?