Picture of If nephew goes to AFC Harrogate, could he later choose to train as an officer, or would that initial choice prevent him?

If nephew goes to AFC Harrogate, could he later choose to train as an officer, or would that initial choice prevent him?

Picture of Katie
1 response

Additional information

I realise that he might then have to return to college to do A' Levels perhaps - I just want to know if going to AFC Harrogate means he cannot change his mind later from being a regular soldier, to becoming an officer. What he thinks he is capable of now at 15 is lower than what it is likely he will be capable of in a few years once his confidence has raised.

Pippa J. asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Friday, November 8, 2019

Last reviewed: Sunday, November 10, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Pippa, Thank you for your question. If your nephew decides to train at the AFC Harrogate it will not preclude him attempting Officer selection at a later date. He will require a recommendation from his chain of command, and two A Levels (or equivalent). As a sub-unit commander I had a number of soldiers who were studying in their free time, it takes hard work and dedication but is absolutely feasible. I wish your nephew luck and hope he enjoys his training. Katie

Sunday, November 10, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?