Picture of I have a wife and 2 year old will the being in the military make it hard for us.

I have a wife and 2 year old will the being in the military make it hard for us.

Picture of Greg
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to HR, Finance and Support

Category: How to apply

Date asked: Sunday, January 19, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, January 20, 2020

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Hello, I am married and have a 3 year old child. Life in the Army with a family can be difficult but it can also be very rewarding. Although they stay behind if I am deployed, my family have travelled everywhere else with me on assignment. This way of living can give service families an absolutely unique experience. If you choose to take your family with you to each new posting they will have the opportunity to travel all over the UK and potentially the world. Not many people get that opportunity. This brings with it its own problems. My wife has had to change jobs numerous times which is not the best. You can also choose to serve unaccompanied and travel back to see your family when you are not working. This can give your family a bit of stability although it gives the added difficulty of you being away regularly. Most soldiers have weekends off though, although there will be the occasional one that you work. In addition, you get 6 weeks paid holiday a year which is great. There are plenty of people in the Army who are in the same position as you. Some find it hard some find it easy. The only way you will know how it will work for you is to try it.

Monday, January 20, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?