British Army
Hi, I hope this is ok to ask. I am thinking about applying but a bit worried about how to cope with things like periods?
Best discussions & stories
Picture of Tori
3 responses
Sarah S. asked a question to Georgina Z.
Category: Career Advice
Date asked: Tuesday, July 23, 2019
Last reviewed: Wednesday, August 7, 2019
Georgina Z.
Hi Sarah, it’s absolutely fine to ask, when I was looking to join up I had the same worry, my mum was worried about it too for me. I get quite heavy and painful periods so I spoke to my doctor about it before I joined. The doctor was really helpful and I used the contraceptive pill to control my periods better. After joining I had a good chat to my military doctor and they give lots of good sexual health advice which is practical as well. I have over my time in the Army been prescribed the injection and implant but find the coil suits me best now that I have had children. It is always best to ask your own doctor what would suit you best at different stages of your life as it is a vey personal choice. Obviously if you didn't want to take anything then that is fine too and if you are having a painful few days you can always chat to your colleagues and ask for support - there is always a female in the chain of command around to chat to about it. I try not to make this topic a taboo subject, many people feel uncomfortable talking about it but you don't need to be. However, the chain of command understands that some discussions are personal and private and are very good at being discrete. So please feel you can ask any question you need to and your privacy will be protected. If you need any other advice on topics like this let me know.
Tuesday, July 23, 2019
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Regimental Medical Officer
Hi Sarah, Your question has popped up on my list as something people would like to know more about. As Georgina has already said, there are lots of different options out there to help manage periods, and it will very much depend on the individual as to what is the best option. Military doctors are very used to dealing with this and we are always very happy to help. You will find the vast majority of the time you are living a life where having a period is actually not a problem, but if you do deploy or go on exercise somewhere that does not have the normal sanitary facilities available and you don't feel comfortable with this, there are short term solutions we can help you with. I certainly wouldn't let it put you off joining!
Wednesday, August 7, 2019
Picture of Caroline M.
Caroline M.
Troop Commander
Hi Sarah, Excellent question and definitely something that we should discuss more. On my first day at Sandhurst and my first day doing anything military we had a chat with some of the female instructors. They advised us to always take extra sanitary products on exercise and take black nappy waste bags to dispose of tampons etc in on exercise. Despite taking the contraceptive pill, I was on my period during every single exercise I went on during training, it was annoying but not the end of the world. I think this was due to the extra mental and physical pressure that I was under. There are portaloos on every exercise you go on during training so you will have some privacy. I would also advise taking hand sanitiser as well. There is also always someone to help you out if you get caught without enough sanitary supplies. It's a consideration in the Army as a woman but please don't worry about it. Hope that's useful!
Wednesday, August 7, 2019
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.
Did you find this discussion helpful?