Picture of If you are working as a doctor is there much time for competitive sport?

If you are working as a doctor is there much time for competitive sport?

3 responses

Additional information

I swim competitively and this would be something I would love to continue.

Neah J. asked during the live chat Discover different roles in the Army to British Army

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, June 12, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

Yes, the Army Medical Services have a lot of competitive athletes which is why many many medical professionals join the Army instead of working for the NHS. My first military doctor was a cross country runner and military parachutist too. He went adventurous training all over the world. At Christmas I was with the Army learning to bobsleigh in Austria and there were lots of doctors and nurses on the training event. you can see a video about it on LADBible/ Unilad.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Neah J.

Thank you! Are you able to train often or is just occasional events?

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Neah, We get lots of time to train, particularly if you join as a GDMO (post FY2). As Georgina said, sport is a big part of Army life. If you are a keen swimmer then get involved with the Army Medical Services swim team early on and make the most of the opportunities given to you. There are doctors in the military who compete at Army level (and occasionally national level) in their chosen sport. It's very different to working for the NHS!

Friday, June 12, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?