Picture of How do you know whether  it's right for you or not?

How do you know whether it's right for you or not?

3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to HR, Finance and Support

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Sunday, July 5, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, August 27, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

That is the million dollar question with any job! It is so difficult to decide what to do with your career and what you should do and it is a big decision to make. I think something must have sparked your interest to consider an Army career, what has drawn you to thinking about the Army? I decided to join because I wanted adventure, to travel, to be responsible, to make a difference and I did not want a normal 9-5 lifestyle in an office. Plus the wages, allowances and benefits are great, which has made me financially very secure. I ought my first house at the age of 22 years old.

Friday, July 10, 2020

Daniel F.

Thank you. That's insightful. What interests me mostly is the opportunity to do something new and progress. I want to achieve the best I can and be successful in what I do. I too don't fit to the 9-5 office routine. I like adventure and a new day everyday. I want to be able to help people also. To feel fulfilled in a career that I could potentially be good at. The only question remaining in my thoughts is, how can we know what role is best for us?

Friday, July 10, 2020

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

This is a fantastic question and undoubtedly one that everybody wants to ask but probably wont. The honest answer is that nobody here can really tell you if it is right or not. Only you can make that decision. And the only way you can make that decision is by giving it a go. Even if you join, it's not forever and during basic training (subject to certain criteria being met) you can withdraw from the course at any time and leave. When i joined, I also looked at joining the civilian police and applied to both the Royal Military Police and Merseyside Police. I decided in the end to go down the path of the Royal Military Police with a view to doing 4-5 years and leaving to pursue a career as a civilian police officer afterwards. Suffice to say my life did not go down that path as 16 years later I am still serving. The opportunity to travel and meet new people is unrivalled. There are not many jobs that give you the opportunity to carry them out in several countries around the world and work with the people from those countries. It has given me real insight into how other cultures and societies work that I just would not have got as a civilian. I have worked with police agencies from Denmark, America, Australia, Canada, Germany, France, Poland, Argentina, The Falkland Islands, Cyprus and many more. It is a job like no other. As for what role is best for you, have you looked at the role finder on the army website? You can put in what interests you and it will tell you what jobs allow you to do that. In reality a good long talk with a recruiter probably wouldn't go amiss.

Thursday, August 27, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?