Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Thomas J. asked a question to Infantry

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Last reviewed: Friday, May 24, 2024

Picture of Deegan W.

Deegan W.

Recruiting Co-ordinator

Hello. You may not be base in the UK after training but it is more than likely that you will. It is important to understand that you will not get the choice to live in any other county you want as you must be able to do your job on a daily basis. If i can understand more about your situation I may be able to give you a better response. Thanks.

Thursday, May 2, 2024

Thomas J.

that's fine. I want to travel the world and I see the benefits also I do believe the army can bring the best out of people I've been thinking about signing up for awhile now. just wanted to know if its possible to be constantly out of the UK but I fully understand cant pick and choose thank you. I'm going into a recruitment centre in Preston what should I expect and I don't want to take up there time if there busy do I have to book a appointment?

Thursday, May 2, 2024

Picture of Shaun M.

Shaun M.

Team Leader (Cpl)

There are several locations outside the UK where you could potentially be based. These postings can vary depending on your role, regiment, and current operational requirements. Here are some of the main overseas bases and locations: 1. Germany: Sennelager / Padderborn. 2. Cyprus: Akrotiri / Episkopi / Dhekelia. 3. Gibraltar If living outside of the UK is something that you are interested in make sure to do your research in to which units are based there from your desired role before joining. Typically the Army often works in a rotation of two years in these types of places depending on what’s going on in the world at the time. The staff at Preston will be able to give you an insight and just have a career discussion where you can highlight things like your want of living abroad. Like Deegan has said unfortunetly you dont always get to chose and its important to understand you must be flexable to move where the Army needs you including within the U.K but that said there is always opertuinty to be based somewhere that suits you and your needs. Ive lived in Germany and now been based in the North East for the last 8 years moving units to help with this.

Friday, May 24, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?