Picture of If I were to enlist in February, I will be 16 and 6 months what is the process I would go through to be a mech engineer

If I were to enlist in February, I will be 16 and 6 months what is the process I would go through to be a mech engineer

Picture of Aaron
1 response

Additional information

I have looked at your profile and your job role is exactly what I would like to do. At what point would I be getting paid and what is the process I would have to go through to become a mechanical engineer in the REME? What did you do after secondary school? What process did you go through?

Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Tom E. asked a question to Aaron R.

Category: Internship

Date asked: Thursday, September 12, 2024

Last reviewed: Friday, September 13, 2024

Picture of Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Vehicle Mechanic

Hi Tom, I applied for the Army prior to leaving school but it will be the same in your case I started at the Army foundation college which is a basic training establishment for those under 18 where I completed the short course 23 weeks of learning to be a soldier. I then moved on to the Defence School of Electronic and Mechanical Engineering in MOD Lyneham to complete my phase 2 (trade training) which was a 40 week course learning everything you need to be a mechanic. This is also where I gained my driving licences (B, C, C+E and H). And from there I was a trained vehicle mechanic in the REME. In short i went from being in school to being a fully trained mechanic in around a year whilst getting paid the entire time and gaining invaluable skills and qualifications and by the time my friends from school were finishing college i was earning more money, gaining new qualifications and traveling the world fixing some of the coolest vehicles in the world. Hope this helps. A:)

Friday, September 13, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?