Picture of Hi how can i loose weight and get fit enough to pass my entry into the army?

Hi how can i loose weight and get fit enough to pass my entry into the army?

Picture of Katie
Picture of Aidan
8 responses

Additional information

I weigh close to 20stone and i am commited into joining the army looking for advise for loosing weight quick good meals to eat and things todo at the gym

Ben Q. asked a question to Combat

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Friday, November 8, 2019

Last reviewed: Saturday, March 28, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Ben, Thanks for your question. It’s great to hear that you are keen to join the British Army and committed to making lifestyle changes to ensure you are fit, healthy and reach your full potential. You have hit the nail on the head by recognising that weight loss, maintenance and fitness is to do with both diet and exercise. Achieving a healthy body will not only make training easier, but also help to prevent you picking up any injuries along the way. For healthy eating advice I would recommend looking at the NHS website which gives great advice. You can also see your Practice Nurse at your local Doctors Surgery and ask for advice and support. Try to avoid fad diets which can be dangerous and only offer short term results. Have a look at the 100% ArmyFit app which can help you get fit. It will assess your current fitness level and design a progressive plan to get you to the required standard to pass the Army selection. You might also find it useful enlisting a friend to be your training partner; it helps if there is someone to drag you out, especially as the days greyer and colder. Good luck with the training! Katie

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Picture of Aidan H.

Aidan H.

Sabre Troop Sgt, Regimental Gunnery Instructor

Don't just concentrate on one form of training and don't try to do too much too early, it could result in an injury. Running, Swimming and body weight exercises are good. Along with walking and cycling. Do something you enjoy, its no good trying to do something you hate as you will loose interest and find excuses not to do it. With eating healthy, don't go to the extreme, cut down on portion size and make healthier options, things as simple as semi skimmed milk, olive spreads instead of butter. But make sure its food you like or you will go off the rails. Have treats, but limit them so you really enjoy them when you have them.

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

An app called my fitness pal in the App Store, input all of your food and it will tell your whether you are consumer goods little/too much. Put yourself in a calorie deficit, move more. Aim for 10,000 steps as a minimum daily and drink plenty for water! J

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Paige V.

i feel like i wouldn’t be able to pass the fitness side of the training

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

You cannot attend assessment centre until you have pass the relevant fitness tests to join the army, I’m sure you won’t have a problem

Paige V.

i understand that but i feel that i wouldn’t be able to pass the fitness anyways, i’m not exactly a fit person as it is and i struggle with losing weight

Picture of Aidan H.

Aidan H.

Sabre Troop Sgt, Regimental Gunnery Instructor

The basic fitness level for the assessment is pretty easy. Once you get into training, it increases in both intensity and effectiveness. However this is done over a period of time and under excellent guidance. You'll find you quickly get fitness levels you never would have imagined.

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Paige V.

thank you! i’ll still be stressed about it but as long as i train myself.

Saturday, March 28, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?