Do you get to choose which medical regiment you are attached to as a GDMO? Do some get more action than others?
Picture of Tori
1 response
Additional information
I want to be in a regiment that gets the most action abroad. Does this mean I should aim for the 16 Medical Regiment? Could I even join the Parachute Regiment during the GDMO years? What decides whether you are a GDMO or a RMO?
Hugo X. asked a question to Medical
Category: Role Description
Date asked: Saturday, October 24, 2020
Last update: Monday, October 26, 2020
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Regimental Medical Officer
Hi Hugo, You can express a preference for which medical regiment you wished to be attached to during GDMO and you can state your reasons for this, although it is sensible to try and align that with your med centre preference (for example, if you want to be attached to 16, pick somewhere near Colchester, if you ask for somewhere closer to Tidworth then you will most likely be attached to 1 or 4 medical regiment). You can ask to be attached to 16 medical regiment (who support 16 air assault brigade) as a GDMO. A GDMO is a doctor who is between FY2 and starting specialty training, an RMO is a fully qualified GP. Occasionally more experienced GDMOs may become aRMOs (assistant RMO) to help out when an RMO is deployed or particularly busy. In regards to which regiment to pick for maximum trips abroad, that answer probably varies depending on who you ask! GDMOs tend not to deploy with medical regiments (because medical regiments rarely deploy), and are instead 'trawled' by the wider Army. Each month a list of deployments and exercises that require a GDMO is discussed by a board of senior GPs who manage all the GDMOs, these GPs then allocate GDMOs to each of the tasks. Being part of a certain medical regiment will not make you more likely to go away, but it may make you less likely. For example, a regiment who is often on 'short notice to move', like 16, will need a certain number of doctors near base at all times, this means those doctors cannot fill other tasks. It varies from year to year, but the busiest GDMO I know (the one who was always abroad) was attached to 3 medical regiment.
Monday, October 26, 2020
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.