Picture of What’s it like balancing full time army life with young children at home, and what support is offered regarding this?!

What’s it like balancing full time army life with young children at home, and what support is offered regarding this?!

1 response

Additional information

I would like to apply to be an ammunition technician but have recently just had a baby so I was wondering what support/impacts it may have on this

Morgan H. asked a question to Logistics

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, December 17, 2020

Katrin W.

RLC Nurture Team NCO

Hi Morgan, I am a mum that's serving, I had my son after already being in, I find it not to bad balancing work and family life, I am living not to far from my in laws which is a huge help for any deployments and exercises. Before any deployments and exercises your unit will give you plenty of notice so it gives you time to organise your childcare. You will need to make a childcare plan once your at your regiment. Be aware during basic training you will not be able to go home at weekends except for half way through. during phase 2 you will be able to go home at weekends unless you have any exercises or certain training to do again you will be told by the training team. As an ammunition technician it will be slightly different as you may be within an EOD regiment who deploy regularly at all hours any day as they go out to many different situations. Therefore you will need a robust childcare plan, such as a partner or family to collect baby from what ever location you have your baby in Nursery/ childminders or Au pair. An Au Pair may be useful for yourself as they will be home for you all hours if your in that type of setting. lots of childcare settings such as nurseries do military discount which is a huge help. I'd recommend looking for a posting closer to home for any extra help.

Thursday, December 17, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?